Sunday, 3 June 2012

Thing 5 - Reflective Practice


The theme for this week on 23 things for professional development is ‘reflective practice’. It has been a truly wonderful week – having a tutorial with my supervisor at UCL, being invited to Buckingham Palace and leading my very first Daoyin workshop with my Taiji teacher. Everything felt so calm and beautiful and now I can spend a bit of time reflecting on ‘the things’ I have learned so far from the course.  
Thing 1: creating a blog – This was easy because I already set up my blog three years ago when I decided to write to my parents in Taiwan in Chinese over the Internet, though I am now using this blog specifically for the cpd-23 course. I hope that I will get into a habit of writing blogs which could be part of my reflective practice. Thing 2: explore other blogs and get to know other cpd-23 participants - It is really wonderful to be able to read other people’s blogs on the course and learn good tips and advice from them. Some of the writings are so good and I have been really enjoying reading them. Thing 3: Consider your personal brand – two things came out of thing 3 for me and that is I joined Linkedin and already have 12 connections on my Linkedin page. I also designed my personal name card that week - a librarian and a researcher of Chinese medicne is my 'brand' . Thing 4: Current awareness - Twitter, RSS feeds and Storify. To be honest, I still have not got into the habit of using either twitter or RSS feed. It will take some time for me to get used to them and I am happy to let things grow organically! Storify looks  interesting but I can’t really see the advantage of using it if a blog can do more or less the same thing! Thing 5: Reflective practice – The reason for working through cpd-23 is that I just registered for my CILIP chartership and the course is to get me focus on library-related topics. So, I hope I will carry on with the course and would like to include it in my portfolio. 
Oh! Here are some photos from Buckingham Palace…
John, Harriet and Dolly (in pink) at Buckingham Palace
John with his MBE medal

No comments: